background

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

How to make a drawstring jewelry bag

It's summertime and that means sewing time around here.  Afton's already finished a skirt and now she's working on a pair of Capri pants with a matching vest.  In honor of the occasion (and because I promised Marion I would post these!) I am po100_6365sting my very verbose instructions on how to make a drawstring jewelry bag.  I received one of these as a gift about 14 years ago, and decided it was a cute and easy gift to make.  Now I keep a stash of satin (whenever I get low I buy a yard of every color that's on sale) so I can whip one of these out for whatever occasion comes up.  Afton and I made the one I am using as an example here for her to give as a birthday gift to a friend.  She just added a couple of cute Target necklaces and was all set.  So here goes (and I apologize for how long the directions are...it never seemed complicated!): 

Materials:

You will need ½ yard of fabric for outside of bag (I love to use novelty cotton prints.) This is enough fabric for at least 2 bags.

½ yard of satin for inside of bag. I’ve also used suit lining when it’s on sale. It’s up to your personal preference.

1 3x3 inch scrap of bonded quilt batting, or two scraps of polar fleece.

3 yards of satin cording. I prefer the smooth cording as it seems to draw through the bag better without binding on itself.

Coordinating thread.

Pattern:

You will need to make four pattern pieces: (I just used round kitchen trays, plates and glasses to make my pattern.)

14-inch circle

11-inch circle

3-inch circle

2 ½-inch circle

Cutting instructions: 

100_6357

Using the 14-inch pattern pattern piece, cut one outside fabric and one satin fabric circle.

 

 

100_6356Using the 11-inch circle pattern piece cut two circles from the satin for the inner pockets of the bag.

 

 

Using the 2 ½-inch circle cut one piece of batting or two pieces of polar fleece.

 To assemble:

Place the two 14-inch circles right sides together and using a 5/8” seam sew around the outer edge, leaving a 2-inch opening. Notch the seam allowances about every 2 inches. Turn right side out, press the edges, and topstitch close to the outer edge. Follow the same instructions for the 11-inch circles.100_6358

(The top circle is after stitching, clipping and turning right side out)

 

 

 

100_6359

(The flowered side shows the circle after topstitching the edge – which closes the opening where you turned the circle right side out.

 

Fold the large circle in half and in half again. Put a straight pin through the two circles at the point of the folds to mark the center of the circle (Pin from the outer print to the inner satin).

Estimate the center of the 2 ½-inch batting and place over the straight pin in the 100_6361center of the large circle. Fold the smaller circle and put the center down over the straight pin as well, sandwiching the batting between the two circles. Pin in place over the batting to keep the circles from shifting.

Find the center of the 3-inch pattern piece and place over the straight pin on top of the small circle. Pin in place. Using the 3-inch pattern piece as a guide stitch close to the outer edge of the pattern piece. Remove the pattern piece.  

100_6362(This photo shows the layers all pinned together and ready to have the small inner circle stitched near the edge of the paper pattern piece.)

 

Pin the outer edge of the small circle to the large circle to hold the pieces in place. Starting at the outer edge of the smaller circle, stitch a straight line towards the center of the circle, stopping at the 3-inch circle’s edge. Be sure to anchor the starting and stopping points well. Lift the needle when you reach the 3-inch circle and move the fabric so that you are now directly across from the ending point. Again stitch a straight line to the edge of the smaller satin circle. Turn the fabric 90 degrees and repeat the process. Then divide the 4 sections into 2 smaller sections following the same instructions. Clip the loose threads on the front and the back. 

To create the channel for the drawstring, stitch on the large circle close to the edge of the small circle. Then stitch a parallel seam about 5/8” from the first. Turn to the outside fabric. Above one of the pocket seams carefully pinch the outside fabric between the two seams to separate it from the inner satin layer. Snip a vertical slit between the two parallel stitch lines. Repeat the step on the opposite side of the outer fabric.

100_6363(Here’s the finished interior stitching – a little lopsided…remember, Afton was helping me…lol)

 

 

Cut the satin cord into two equal lengths. Pin an end of the cord to a safety pin and pull it through the entire channel, exiting where you entered. Join the ends in a knot. Repeat the steps on the opposite side of the bag.  Voila! You have a beautiful drawstring jewelry bag with eight separate pockets to keep all your chains and earrings safe and sound. Congratulations!

100_6367

100_6364

 

1 comment:

Laura said...

wow! very impressive. in my next life i'm going to be a fabulous sewer/craftswoman, just like you!