I am (as many of you know) an avid crafter, and since we ended up on the short end of children in a house with a larger number of bedrooms, I got to have my very own craft/sewing/scrapping room. My friend Marion even came out to CA from FL to help me set it up and I LOVE it! (Thanks Marion.)
Anyways, I digress. I put up these great "floating" shelves in the room over my work table to hold whatever I could put on them. Unfortunately where I wanted to (and eventually did) mount the shelves didn't allow for the supporting bracket to be screwed into the wall studs...(can you see where this is going?) I mean, really? Who needs to pay any attention to those silly weight restriction guidelines anyhow? I just put in some enormous toggle bolts and tighened 'em up to the wall as tight as they'd go.
Anyways, I digress. I put up these great "floating" shelves in the room over my work table to hold whatever I could put on them. Unfortunately where I wanted to (and eventually did) mount the shelves didn't allow for the supporting bracket to be screwed into the wall studs...(can you see where this is going?) I mean, really? Who needs to pay any attention to those silly weight restriction guidelines anyhow? I just put in some enormous toggle bolts and tighened 'em up to the wall as tight as they'd go.
For the last 3 or 4 years I've been looking at the lower shelf and thinking, "Hmmm, I need to fix that one of these days." It was tilted down about 10 degrees and always looked like it might drop its contents on me any day. But it never did, so hey, what's the rush? Besides, I need to be creative when I'm in that space!

Well, last week it dropped its contents! Yep! I guess the shelf got tired of waiting for me to "get around to it!" Afton was in my office collecting trash and everything came down. Thomas had to go in and rescue her as her hand was caught under the pile. Then he called me at work to let me know about the disaster. Fun to know, but what can ya do? Another frustration for me was that I had just got the room back together after my long weekend crop! And that was no small feat!
So rather than doing what I had planned to do last Saturday (I have a pile of sewing projects I'm itching to start), I got to patch the wall (the toggle bolts pulled right through the drywall) and paint the patches. Granted, the patches aren't the prettiest ones, but they're done. Then I screwed a length of 2x2 into the studs to provide strength for the mounting bracket and added two
undershelf brackets to give it more added support. There is a "sunny side" to those brackets... Now I can have another rod to hang my ribbons on. Yes, my name is Vicky and I'm addicted to ribbon...Anyhow, here's the finished shelf all remounted and organized. I'm happy to say that the only casualty in the process (aside from the "ventilated" drywall) was a broken piece of plastic on one spool of serger thread. Whew.
Guess the moral to this story is: Don't put off fixing till tomorrow what might come crashing down today!
6 comments:
I'm glad it was easy to fix. I love how you've organize your craft room. It looks fantastic!!!!! I'm jealous to say the least. I'm glad you have it though. You deserve it :) It's great that you have your room and Thomas has his hockey room :)
you make me laugh. glad you are such a fixer girl!
oh my goodness ... that could have been disasterous! It really does look great now!
p.s. I CANNOT believe how big afton is now! Really it blows my mind!
I have a coat rack in my laundry room that is screwed into drywall. It too came crashing down one day when too many coats got hung on it. They really should make stronger drywall.
haha WOW! I love the difference in the pictures :)
p.s. I am addicted to ribbons as well!
I remember the tilt on that shelf, I am amazed that it stayed up at all!
Post a Comment