background

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

When you wish upon a star...

Well, since we live so close to Disneyland (all of 60 miles away - close when everyone in my family is in Canada!), I thought I'd start out with something fun.

However, that doesn't describe my day. Afton is really testing the limits these days and this morning when she felt too much was being asked of her stated, "I wish you weren't my mom!" There it was, the magic word: Wish!

So I obliged! Today when I got home from work I was NOT her mom. I walked in and immediately sent her to her room because I wanted to do my own thing and not be in charge of her time. I explained that I'm just here as the babysitter and she doesn't have to worry about having a mom anymore. I proceeded to do my homework, ran an errand (you should have seen her shocked face looking out her bedroom window when I drove away without her!), and basically just didn't have anything to do with her.

Around 7:30 p.m. I went to her room and explained that since she doesn't have a mom there are no more rules or responsibilities -- on her part or mine. I don't have to prepare meals, do laundry, or make sure she's doing anything. She can make as big a mess as she wants to in her room, since no one cares how it looks. And I won't be helping her make her room look nice anymore, or do nice things for her either.

I explained that she is in charge of her own meals now, and she might want to set an alarm if she wants to get to school on time. I also told her I thought she should pack her own lunch if she wants one tomorrow, since her "mom" isn't around to take care of those things for her.

I reminded her that I won't be taking her anywhere, like to children's choir or Girl Scouts, since I'm not the mom anymore. Things were really beginning to look pretty bleak.

She did stay in her room most of the night and hasn't had too much to say to me. I think she's realizing just how different her life is without a "mom" to take care of her. She did come out and remind me that I am her mom, but I reiterated that I don't have any relationship to her right now, as her wish this morning came true.

I have no idea what she made herself to eat for supper, probably peanut butter and bread, and I think she had a glass of milk. She even put herself to bed on her own (early!), and her room looked pretty neat, all things considered!

Maybe in the morning she'll have a different take on "life with mom", even with all those rules and expectations.

The parenting saga continues... (gotta love that 'tween age... so I can brace myself for teenagedom, I guess.)

2 comments:

Laura said...

hi afton! it's liesel and gwyneth. sounds like you had a rough day. we miss you!

Lisa said...

That was funny! I've done some similar things to that before :D