Last night Afton, Kelly (a family friend) and I went to the Church at Rocky Peak for their "Back to Bethlehem" enactment. They do this for two weekends every December and it is absolutely wonderful. Yesterday was the last night they were doing it and it was very cold (for California, any way!) so we bundled up in warm coats and gloves to brave the trip back in time.
Once we arrived we were given our allotment of "shekels" (metal washers) and escorted to the gates that led to Bethlehem. We were initially greated by astonished shepherds who had witnessed the angelic message of the Messiah's birth. Then we entered the village. There were centurions, tax collectors, village people and merchants. We were informed there was no room at the inn, were able to visit the stable where Mary and Joseph where caring for the baby Jesus (a live infant...hopefully dressed very warmly!), and observe different craftsmen and vendors plying their trades. We even saw an "angelic" presentation up on a hill behind the village area.
Afton also went to the school of the Rabbis and was able to answer the"Stump the Rabbi" question -- name one of three places that it has been prophesied that the Messiah will live during his lifetime. She answered "Egypt" and I think the Rabbi was a little surprised by her choice. He commented that that was the location most people forget about. I'm sure glad she pays attention at church and home.
While roaming around the village we were able to see basket weavers, wool spinning, buy a sample of goat cheese, buy a scroll, and attend various other craftsmen booths. When I asked the donkey's caretaker where the donkey lived when he wasn't here, the answer without miss a beat was "I think in Nazareth." When I asked "Mary" how old her baby was she replied, "Only a few hours."
As we left the village we were able to visit with the Magi and learn of the importance of the gifts they brought to the child.
We spent about an hour there and Afton seemed to really enjoy herself. On the way out we were presented with cups of hot cocoa and cookies. Of course, I forgot to take the camera...so I guess we'll just have to go back again next year. I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a way to bring the story to life for their children. I'm sure it is something Afton won't soon forget.
5 comments:
How cool is that?!! I want to go!!!
I'd love to see this. It sound fascinating.
We went too, and it was a lot of fun! My favorite was when a man asked Jordan if her would be willing to stay and marry his daughter. Pretty funny reaction came from my 13 year old! Next was Kelsey's turn and he wanted her to be a wife for his son. She was horrified!
She is lovely. You and Thomas must be so proud! What would we do without the internet and the joy it brings!!
time for a new post, vicki! i miss the little glimpses into your life!
Post a Comment