background

Friday, December 12, 2008

Eureka!

I must confess that I'm a worrier about sun damage to Afton's eyes. I had an optometrist once tell me that he is seeing sun-related damage earlier and earlier. So when we all went to have our eye exams last month I talked to the doctor about sunglasses for Afton. Well, Afton has a very slight prescription in one eye and so we were able to get her some prescription sunglasses. Needless to say, she was thrilled with the idea.

We looked at lots of frames and she picked out these really cute black & white Candies frames. We discussed the responsibilities of having these glasses and how much it would cost to replace them if she loses them. She felt she was able to take on this commitment so we ordered the glasses.

They came in last Friday, but we couldn't go get them until Monday. It was so much fun for her to go and have these glasses fitted. She loved looking in the mirror and admiring the new "look!"

Of course, the glasses came with a pretty pink hard case, so she has someplace safe to keep them when she's not wearing them. Tuesday morning she wore them to school so she could use them at recess and lunch break, and keeps them in the case in her backpack when she's in the classroom.

On Wednesday Afton had her friend Kesley over for a play date and couldn't wait to show her the new shades. They oohed and awed over them and then got back to playing. When it was time to take Kelsey home I suggested that Afton make sure she put her new glasses away. Horror of Horrors! They were LOST!

Afton searched high and low Wednesday night and Thursday morning and couldn't find them anywhere. I was so irritated that she had already lost them and wasn't too careful to keep that to myself, so she was really feeling the pressure.

Last night I had her continue to look for the glasses before she went to bed. She searched everywhere she thought they could be and had no luck. In the meantime, my friend Sandra had arrived to finalize the piano recital program that we had prepared together. Afton went to bed and we were still sitting at the computer when we heard a very loud exclamation: "EUREKA!!!! EUREKA!!!!"

Down the hall comes Afton, bouncing up and down with a pink glasses case in her hands. She had found them. They had been tucked up on top of some books in her bookcase and had somehow escaped detection. She was so relieved that she didn't have to pay me to replace them.

The sunglasses are now safely ensconced in her backpack and I'm sure she'll be really careful to keep them safe...at least for a little while...

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Too funny! I can just hear her saying "Eureka!"