background

Monday, May 30, 2011

Road Trip - Day 5

Well, I think San Antonio is definitely worth a repeat visit. We stayed at the nicest La Quinta ever and it was perfectly located for pedestrian touring of the Riverwalk and the Alamo. Pretty easy to get to from the freeway, too... always a plus when driving 40 feet of vehicle! We had a great rest and then were up for a very "Texas" breakfast, with a fun Texas-shaped waffle to go with our scrambled eggs and sausage (I do love LQ for the free breakfast!)

Then we headed out for the Riverwalk cruise. It was about 30 minutes, quite affordable, and was very informative. Once we finished our little cruise we walked along the Riverwalk and surveyed several handicraft vendors. I picked up a custom-made bracelet for Afton with her name on it (made on the spot with nylon cording) and a pile of postcards. Marion found a beautiful ring made from gold and silver wire.

We then headed up to street level and enjoyed some ice cream before heading for the Alamo museum. We were only there for a short time, as it was very crowded and we were both getting pretty hot (it was in the high 90s with high humidity, too...yuck!) So we cut back through the mall to return to pick up our truck at the hotel and hit the road for Fort Stockton. Now to be honest, there wasn't a whole lot to look at between the two locales, and you could easily miss Fort Stockton if you weren't paying close attention, but they do have a La Quinta (our favorite accomodation.) We entertained ourselves by counting various deceased beasts, counting 30+ deer, one dead wild hog, numerous badgers, coyotes, foxes, raccoons, porcupines, skunks, and only one armadillo. We also found a distraction in trying to take photos of road signs as they flew by (don't worry - Marion is the designated photographer.) We are quite glad to be here and planning an early night so we can get to Phoenix tomorrow early enough to possibly go out to dinner with a friend.

3 comments:

Fred ... said...

If you guys are both flaked out on the bed who took the picture? If there were 30 dead dear that means there must be a lot of cars with smashed in front ends.

Lisa said...

Vicky, I just thought I would let you know that I can really notice the weight you've lost in your pictures. You are looking really good! I'm loving that you are doing this blog. I'm so swamped right now but I'm on the computer a lot with contracts etc. for grad nite and it's fun to be able to catch up a bit through the blog :)

Vicky said...

Aren't camera timers fun? I stacked the chair on the desk and put the ice bucket upside down on the chair, tucked a couple of booklets under the camera and, voila! An impromptu camera "tripod!" We both love this picture because it truly showed how we felt at the end of this day.